[rescue] Solaris on a PPC (now VMS)

Joshua D. Boyd jdboyd at celestrion.celestrion.net
Wed Feb 5 17:12:29 CST 2003

On Wed, Feb 05, 2003 at 11:59:48PM +0100, Frank Van Damme wrote:

> Lol... I don't know crap about VMS too, I thought it was dead as a stone.
> Can you actually do something useful with it (like: modern applications
> that can run on it)? And why isn't it more popular?

Not many people are ready to spend big $$$ for OSs that they think the
owners are eager to kill.  Then there was that whole replace everything
with unix phase before that, etc.

You can run databases off of VMS.  You can also run all sorts of other
network servers.  I don't know that there is a whole lot of end user
applications for it anymore, but I know there is at least one CAD system
that has a lot of big users.