[rescue] Good FDDI Concentrator?

Dave McGuire mcguire at neurotica.com
Wed Feb 5 13:10:12 CST 2003

On Wednesday, February 5, 2003, at 02:01 PM, Jeff Workman wrote:
> Lately I've been thinking about delving into the not so dark world of
> FDDI. Anybody have any recommendations on a good concentrator?

   Cisco WS-C1400.  Easily the best FDDI concentrator I've seen.

> I see several Cisco workgroup concentrators on ebay. Are these
> managable? Do they have a 100Mbit uplink module (cheaply) available?

   Yes, they're manageable (I don't know of any FDDI concentrators that
aren't...they necessarily need some smarts for FDDI anyway) and quite
featureful.  You give them an IP address and log into them via telnet
like a Cisco router.  Also SNMP of course.

   100Mbit uplink module...you mean 100Mbit ethernet?  No...that'd make
it a translational bridge.  There are several nice Cisco boxes that can
do this, my personal favorite is the Catalyst 5000...they're just now
coming into the range of reasonable pricing, and are highly capable.

         -Dave