[rescue] USB to serial bridge

William Enestvedt Will.Enestvedt at jwu.edu
Mon Feb 3 07:25:45 CST 2003

> I need to get a good quality USB to serial bridge so that I can test
> possible rescue systems in the field using my serial-port-less notebook.

   Me, three. I have one by Targus. Someone in our networking group bought it,
and I seized for just this purpose. It has a small sticker on the back with
the part number PA088, but targus. com doesn't list that item anymore. I use
it on a Compaq laptop under Mandrake linux to access my V100's, and it works a
treat (after I forceload the right drivers).
   Depending on how flexible you are about receommendations, there's another
list I read about Unix-ness and Mac OS X where someone asked this question,
and here's part of one reply that endorsed a Keyspan adapter:

> ...[Mac OS automatically] configures the adapter and makes it
> available to the system as a serial port.  At that point,
> any program that knows how to address system ports can use it -
> presumably you could use tip or other utilities as well.
>
> It shows up in Zterm as a modem option, along with the IR port
> and internal modem (on my Pismo).  Works fine with Cisco gear
> and a Netra I've worked with.  Note the customary Sun issue of
> disconnected serial sessions to headless servers dropping the
> machine to OpenBoot unless you take care.

   (I can dig up more references from this list if you like; the heom age is
at www.themacintoshguy.com/lists/X.html.)
   Is that helpful?
-wde
--