sig (was Re: [rescue] IBM RS/6K 40P?)

William Barnett-Lewis wlewis at mailbag.com
Mon Feb 3 06:46:57 CST 2003

>This is more than a bit OT, but I feel compelled to ask:

>The quote in your signature - I'm just a dumb retired engineer, so I don't do poetry >well.  I thought I followed that quote until I got to the unfurled flag.
>I was getting images of a winter night, with snow on the ground, and lots of silver >blue/gray and black silhouettes of leafless trees and such.  Then came
>the flag.  Are we in a military burial ground on a winter night?  Elucidation, please.

It's from a song about the moon landings. She wrote it in the 70's when
it looked like it might be "awhile" before we got back. It was sung at a
Challenger memorial service and it was in that context that I was using
it.

The whole can be found here:
http://www-users.cs.york.ac.uk/~susan/sf/filk/hopeeyri.htm

But I did decide it was too obscure and changed my sig again.

>Bill Martin

William
relations, for nature cannot be fooled.
Feynman's Appendix to the Rogers Commission Report.