[rescue] Re: [geeks] Crap! Not again...

Patrick Giagnocavo +1.717.201.3366 patrick at zill.net
Sat Feb 1 19:25:33 CST 2003

On Sat, Feb 01, 2003 at 01:56:45PM -0800, ed at the7thbeer.com wrote:
> My understanding was a majority-wins system of 5 computers.  Each
> calculates, if one is wrong, it goes away.  The process continues until
> either only one or two are left running.  Doesn't mean they can't all come
> to a "right" answer that leads to a problem down the road.

A completely speculative explanation that I read earlier today was
that the shuttle hit a pocket of air that was at a substantial
temperature difference from the rest of the air, thus either causing
the computers to screw up somehow (sort of like a "rogue wave" can
mess up even large boats in the ocean), or in attempting to
successfully correct, placing enough strain on the airframe to cause
it to come apart.

In any event, I do feel for the explorers who were aboard and the
families that were waiting there to greet them as they landed.

Aside from all that, I will add apropos of nothing that the time for
commercial space exploration and use (aside from launching satellites)
is now at hand.

--Patrick