[rescue] Re: [geeks] Crap! Not again...

Lionel Peterson lionel4287 at yahoo.com
Sat Feb 1 15:18:47 CST 2003

--- ed at the7thbeer.com wrote:
> Got me to wondering if maybe the computer(s) screwed up and the bird
> came in too hot.  Not that computers ever make mistakes, but poorly
> coded software will.  And what an amazing way to sabotage something
> as complex as the shuttle.  Change a decimal place in some code,
> wait till it gets loaded and let it do the rest.

Two words - triple redundant

The shuttles mission critical systems are triple redundant (IIRC) -
they have two computers that perform the calculation, then a third
compares (or is it three, and a fourth compares, majority wins?)...

Also, they are programmed by different teams, because a software bug
would invalidate the redundancy in many cases.

Also, the "Hacker Terrorist" (were it intentional) woul dhave to pass a
security clearance check - a non-trivial effort, I assume.

=====
Lionel

http://mailplus.yahoo.com