[rescue] AS4100a questions (and problems booting Debian)

Jochen Kunz jkunz at unixag-kl.fh-kl.de
Sat Dec 20 18:08:28 CST 2003

On 2003.11.28 23:18 Mike Meredith wrote:

> (FreeBSD might support multiple CPU's; NetBSD definitely doesn't
> unless the website is lying).
The web site is outdated. NetBSD 1.6 comes with SMP on VAX and Alpha.
-current added SMP for i386, sparc and macppc. NetBSD-current should be
able to do SMP nicely on an AS4100. I heared that there where some
problems with occasional crashes. Maybe this got ironed out meanwhile.
Unfortunately NetBSD doesn't want to do SMP on my triple CPU AS2100
5/250, 1 GB RAM, but there is Tru64.

> > Would it be worth, at some later point, trying to run Tru64?
> Yes. It's a nice o/s (even if some don't agree) ... BSD-like with some
> SVR4isms.
I like Tru64. I run it on my main workstation for two years. (Now I use
an Octane instead.) It fealt right "at home" at the first touch.

> Unfortunately some of the nicer facilities are only
> available with additional licenses.
Well. There are some "random nuber generators"...
--

tsch|_,
       Jochen