[rescue] Decserver 200/MC as console switch?

Dave McGuire mcguire at neurotica.com
Sat Dec 20 18:08:28 CST 2003

On Nov 28, 2003, at 8:37 PM, Brian Wheeler wrote:
> I've got a decserver 200/mc and I've managed to get the terminal server
> software to load.
>
> What I'd like to do is set it up so I can hang my various unix boxes
> off
> of it and use the console port on the terminal server to switch between
> them. [think:  serial kvm]
>
> I know I'm going to need a pile of null-modems, but I have no idea how
> to configure the server to do what I want.   The documentation I've
> come
> across seems to indicate that this is possible.
>
> Anyone have any documentation on how I'd set this up?  I don't need
> LAT,
> so that's not really an issue.

   Oh my goodness...it has been like fifteen years since I've done this,
but I know it can be done because I've done it myself, also on a 200MC.
  Basically, you need to define a new "service" for each port, each with
a unique name, and then issue a "connect" command to connect to that
"service" (and hence the port).  It can definitely be done, but I don't
recall the specific commands to make it happen.  Look at the "set
service" and "define service" help screens.

   Alternatively, if you have a LAT host available, you can use "reverse
LAT" to get out to those serial ports.  That works very well; I've done
that too, to use an attached modem as a dialout.  This was under VMS
5.2, which was current at the time.

           -Dave