[rescue] External SCSI on SGI Challenge L

Francisco Javier Mesa-Martinez lefa at ucsc.edu
Sat Dec 20 18:08:26 CST 2003

On Wed, 26 Nov 2003, Sheldon T. Hall wrote:
> Is there also a way to make all the internal bays run off one of the
> controllers on the IO4?

If you assign one of the scsi channels to be external, you are in fact
forcing all the drives in one bay to be on the channel that is left (I you
have the internal header connected to it). Normally you can connect 2 SCSI
busses to the interanl bay, some sleds allow you to chose which bus you
want to use. Other sleds are hardwired to use either the differential or
the single ended buses that can be routed through the bay.

> Next question ... if I get another IO4, what do I have to do to make it
> appear as controllers 2 and 3, so I can use two IO4s in the same Challenge?

You can not add more thank one IO4 to a challenge L, you can add more SCSI
mezzanine cards to the IO4 or VME scsi boards if you need more channels.