[rescue] Brocade Switches

Eric Dittman dittman at dittman.net
Sat Dec 20 18:08:26 CST 2003

> > I have two Brocade switches I'm trying to connect together.  One is a
> > Dell-relabelled SilkWorm Express (Dell PowerVault 50F) and the other
> > is a Brocade SilkWorm II.  When I connect them together I get an error
> > that the SAN is segmented.  Could this be because the SilkWorm II has
> > V1.4 firmware and the PowerVault 50F had V1.6 firmware?
>
> Some things that you may have already checked:
>
> 1 do the switches have different domain IDs?
> 2 do the zonesets have the same name?
> 3 if there are zones with the same name on each switch, do they contain
> the same members?

These are all correct.

> You may also want to check that both switches agree about how the ISL
> should work - usually there's the vendor specific way and the 'open
> standards' way.

They do agree; they are both Brocade.

I was trawling eBay about 20 minutes ago and found that the Compaq
StorageWorks Fibre Channel Switch 8/16 was the same unit as the
SilkWorm II.  I found the latest Compaq firmware and it was the same
as for the SilkWorm Express/PowerVault 50F, so I upgraded the
SilkWorm II.  After that, the two switches synced up.
--
Eric Dittman
dittman at dittman.net