[rescue] Sun ultra 5 questions

Charles Shannon Hendrix shannon at widomaker.com
Sat Dec 20 18:08:25 CST 2003

Wed, 26 Nov 2003 @ 16:25 -0500, Linc Fessenden said:

> Hmpf..  I sit in front of a 128 meg Slackware box (400 or 700mhz
> intel) and use Mozilla and OO all day long.  No problems here.  You think
> it might be related to the WM you are using?  Some of them like Gnome and
> KDE are real resource hogs.  I use XFCE.

There are some really strange interactions on Linux x86 machines between
various toolkits and X.

For example, using the xmms player on Window Manger on my machine or
Mozilla is nearly impossible.

Both cause X to hit 100% cpu just moving another window over them in
opaque move mode.

There are little wierdnesses in X that some combinations of
applications, WMs, and GUIs can cause that aren't all worked out yet.