[rescue] Brocade Switches

Scotty Logan swl at catbert.net
Sat Dec 20 18:08:25 CST 2003

On Nov 26, 2003, at 2:33 PM, Eric Dittman wrote:
> I have two Brocade switches I'm trying to connect together.  One is a
> Dell-relabelled SilkWorm Express (Dell PowerVault 50F) and the other
> is a Brocade SilkWorm II.  When I connect them together I get an error
> that the SAN is segmented.  Could this be because the SilkWorm II has
> V1.4 firmware and the PowerVault 50F had V1.6 firmware?

Some things that you may have already checked:

1 do the switches have different domain IDs?
2 do the zonesets have the same name?
3 if there are zones with the same name on each switch, do they contain
the same members?

I've not used Brocade switches, but all the other fiber channel stuff
I've used has required those three things to be true before the fabrics
can be merged; if the fabric merge fails, the ISL is taken down and the
SAN is segmented.  I'd expect Brocade to at least require 1 and 3 to be
true.

You may also want to check that both switches agree about how the ISL
should work - usually there's the vendor specific way and the 'open
standards' way.

   Scotty

--
Scotty Logan <scotty at catbert.net>
Never take life seriously - Nobody gets out alive anyway