[rescue] Sun ultra 5 questions

jdboyd at jdboyd.zill.net jdboyd at jdboyd.zill.net
Sat Dec 20 18:08:25 CST 2003

On Wed, Nov 26, 2003 at 03:58:05PM -0500, Kevin Loch wrote:
> jdboyd at jdboyd.zill.net wrote:
> >
> >All I know is that I'm sitting in front of a 256meg Dell linux machine
> >right now (Dimension 8100), and it ain't pleasant to run Mozilla or OO.
> >It spends a lot of time swapping.
>
> Of course the next question is "what else is running on
> that machine?"

Not much.  Mozilla.  Maybe a dozen rxvts, some with ssh sessions.
Emacs.   GDB w/ Insight.  The Ecos Configtool.

Going by top, mozilla is taking over 115 megs of ram.  The next largest
is emacs at 12.  Of course, X is listed as the largest still, but that
has something to do with video memory mapping, and doesn't reflect
what's actually used.  GDB is 8 megs.  Various gnome-ish things take up
some fairly large chuck here and there as well.