[rescue] Time to replace the IPX

Jochen Kunz jkunz at unixag-kl.fh-kl.de
Sat Dec 20 18:08:23 CST 2003

On 2003.11.26 18:04 Paul Weissmann wrote:

> The 82596 does also support 100/10, is this correct?
No. 10 MBit/s only. (Think of it. The 712 was the first LASI based
machine and it came long bevore 100 MBit/s.)

> If so, I think I still have some Phobos EISA card for HP 9000s I
> could try.
Phobos EISA card? Tel me more!

> You misunderstood me - systems with a CPU newer than PA-8200 have a
> very different I/O-subsystem than the older ones.
Sure. The IO is (mostly) PCI based?
It is much simpler writing a new bus attachment with the needed
bus_space(9) / bus_dma(9) glue then adding a whole new architecture. A
new architecture requires a lot of nasty low level work including
assembler, interrupt routing, pmap(9) interface to the VM system...

> The B2000 in turn is based on the Astro system controller together
> with Elroy PCI bridges and has zero GSC-devices left.
That's no problem. If the IO is build with generic PCI devices all you
need is a bus attachment and everything works automagicly.
--

tsch|_,
       Jochen