[rescue] Time to replace the IPX

Paul Weissmann paul at doorslam.net
Sat Dec 20 18:08:23 CST 2003

Kevin [kevin at mpcf.com] wrote:
> I don't know about his needs but i would like to use two 64 bit cards
> (GigE nic and scsi320) in my PWS500au and neither card will work in
> the machine.  SRM gives something like "Incompatible device plugged
> into PCI slot#".  Very irritating.

This means they could trigger the (DMA-)bug in the
PCI-bridge/chipset, so the SRM disables these devices which are known
to not work or not known to work (don't know how it decides).

This PCI-ID checking can be disabled (but on your own risk):

 ">>> SET PCI_DEVICE_OVERRIDE -1"

which could lead to unknown effects on the OS and your data.

        - paul

--
   zwei jaeger treffen sich. beide tot.