[rescue] Time to replace the IPX

Björn Ramqvist v53278 at g.haggve.se
Sat Dec 20 18:08:21 CST 2003

Jochen Kunz wrote:

> A PWS {433|500|600} should do well on that job, has 100 MBit Tulip on
> board, the "au" version comes with QLogic UW SCSI and can be feed with
> quite normal PC100 ECC SDRAM DIMMs. (max. 256 MB per DIMM, two DIMMs
> per bank.)

I've got a quite strange version of a 433a, which has a Qlogic SCSI
card. It was a pain to get it to SRM, but once there it was perfectly
switchable between AlphaBIOS (*spit*) and SRM. Long story...
This machine was bought as an alternative CAD-solution for Alpha/NT with
a historic Wildcat card (Powerstorm 4D51T), so I'd guess that's why the
SCSI-part.

We've scrapped a few almost-barebone Dell Precision 610 which had quite
a few amounts of RAM in them, so I took a couple of sticks to go in the
PWS433a and they work nicely since they are PC100 ECC SDRAM. I'll try to
dig out a few more to take it atleast to 512MB (currently 384MB), quite
possibly more.

> A AlphaStation 600A may do well to, but it needs FPM PS/2 parity SIMMs.
> Don't confue the AS600A with the older, slower AS600. The AS600 is a
> nice machine, but AFAIK maxes out at 333 MHz.

That I didn't know... thanks for the info.

/Bjorn