[rescue] Time to replace the IPX

Paul Weissmann paul at doorslam.net
Sat Dec 20 18:08:21 CST 2003

Jochen Kunz [jkunz at unixag-kl.fh-kl.de] wrote:
> On 2003.11.26 02:39 Scott Newell wrote:
>
> > I like the idea of an Alpha.  A lot.
> They make good NetBSD machines. But keep im mind to get lots of RAM. An
> Alpha will eat 128 MB for breakfast. 256MB is minimum, 512MB is OK when
> you put some load on that box.

I'll second that, I have 256 on my 255 4/233, which is my primary
nfs/www/cvs/ftp/ssh-etc-blabla server. It still has lots of reserves.

Important is to use a decent SCSI-subsystem, the 255 has only
Fast-narrow on-board. Most 53c8xx are supported by the SRM, so with
an 53c896 and LVD drives things get quite fast.

> A PWS {433|500|600} should do well on that job, has 100 MBit Tulip on
> board, the "au" version comes with QLogic UW SCSI and can be feed with
> quite normal PC100 ECC SDRAM DIMMs. (max. 256 MB per DIMM, two DIMMs
> per bank.)

But you can't really use the 64-bit slots in the machines w/ the
older (buggy) Pyxis-chipset/PCI-bridge combination.

        - paul

--
   zwei jaeger treffen sich. beide tot.