[rescue] Time to replace the IPX

Jochen Kunz jkunz at unixag-kl.fh-kl.de
Sat Dec 20 18:08:20 CST 2003

On 2003.11.25 17:34 Scott Newell wrote:

> 	My OS requirements seem to eliminate SGI, and I suspect
> anything Alpha based will be either too hot or too noisy.
Depends. A PC164 board can take up to a 500 MHz EV56 CPU and is just a
regular ATX board. So it depends on the box you build around it. My PWS
500au isn't that loud, in theory. It has a quite noisy disk... But when
I think of the sound of my AlphaServer 2100, uhhh. The Octane is quiet
compared to that beast. But the AS2k1 can take up to 14 disks. :-)

> Sun Ultra 1E?
Or a U5/U10 with SCSI adapter?
AXi, AXe or the like?

> What about HP or IBM?
NetBSD/hp700 isn't ready for use and I doubt that it will be soon. (I
know this as I am one of the inofficial NetBSD/hp700 developers.)
OpenBSD/hppa seams not that rock solid like it could be. Especialy fast
Ethernet support as this requires PCI support and PCI support is new to
OpenBSD/hppa. (If it works at all. Some weeks ago it was still under
developement.)

IBM, well. The 43P-{100|133|140} machines are supported by NetBSD, but
not by the latest AIX. So they may be cheap to get. The installer is
broken, so you need a bit of hand work to get it on the disk. At the
moment I run NetBSD/prep on a 43P-100 and it works well.
--

tsch|_,
       Jochen