[rescue] Time to replace the IPX

Scott Newell newell at cei.net
Sat Dec 20 18:08:18 CST 2003

	I've been using an ancient IPX at work for a few years now, and it's time
to upgrade.  I'm looking for recommendations.

	I'd like:
a faster box
runs OpenBSD or NetBSD
can use 1.6" SCA drives (used SCA seems to be good value at 9-18GB)
fairly quiet
not too hot running
100Mbit ethernet (without dongles/AUI transceivers)
able to boot headless
not too pricey  (<$100 would be great)
bonus points for spiffy RISC arch
not too big (say, smaller than a full tower)

	The main uses of the box will be to run CVS, Samba, dhcpd, and apache (low
volume internal static webpages).  Sometime in the future it'll be called
on to also handle some low volume cgi and database stuff.  The IPX is out
of disk space on the internal 4GB drive, and Samba is pretty sluggish
(compared to the PCs on the 100Mbit network).

	My OS requirements seem to eliminate SGI, and I suspect anything Alpha
based will be either too hot or too noisy.  Sun Ultra 1E?  What about HP or
IBM?

newell