[rescue] Shifted Sun GDM-500PS...

Patrick Giagnocavo +1.717.201.3366 patrick at zill.net
Sat Dec 20 18:08:13 CST 2003

On Fri, Nov 21, 2003 at 10:46:29PM -0500, Phil Stracchino wrote:
> On Fri, Nov 21, 2003 at 10:04:43PM -0500, Patrick Giagnocavo wrote:
> > On Fri, Nov 21, 2003 at 07:23:04PM -0700, biscjohn at locutus.isu.edu wrote:
> > >
> > > Steel toes are rated at about 2.5-3 tonnes.  If anything that heavy hit
> >
> > Are those short tons, long tons, or metric tons?
>
> When it lands on your foot, who cares about the distinction?

I suppose I was just being mischievious...

back in freshman year goegraphy class lo these many years ago, the
teacher was going on about how much the Earth weighed...:

Teacher: "Planet earth weighs 6.5 billion trillion (6.5 times 10 to
the twenty-first power) tons."

Me: "Is that short tons or long tons?"

Teacher:  "Huh?"

Me: "Short tons are 2000 pounds, long tons are 2200.  You can see that
200 pounds times that many tons is a big difference."

Teacher:  "ummmm.....ahhhh...."

--P