[rescue] SGI Irix / Indy question

Paul paul at techcenter3000.com
Sat Dec 20 18:08:10 CST 2003

sash is stored in the volume header of the disk drive, partition 8. It can
be useful when a system has disk problems, however it is preferable to load
a miniroot when working on a down system.

boot -f dksc(0,4,8)sashARCS     The 4 is the scsi id of (normally) a
cdrom...change it to your HD scsi ID

cat dksc(0,1,0)/etc/passwd to read the passwd file...if you can get a passwd
file on floppy or cd you could copy it over. Also, you might try install
from sash, it should load a miniroot installer that has some tools. SOrry to
be so vague, it's been a while, and my notes are almost illegible.

You can also use fx.ARCS for the disk util...I seem to remember you could
sector edit...GRIN!

Oh, btw, the cp in sash will work on files as well as raw disks...it is all
too easy to toast a partition/drive with it...

Oh, and you should IIRC be able to mount any partition you need (i.e. /usr) so
you can get to editors, etc...