[rescue] SGI Irix / Indy question

Walter Belgers walter+rescue at belgers.com
Sat Dec 20 18:08:07 CST 2003

brooke wrote:
> I know I could probably pull the drive, mount it on a box that can read
> XFS, and edit /etc/passwd. I don't have such a box. I don't even have a
> bootable IRIX cd.

That makes it harder. You could put the drive into a PC, and look on the
raw disk partition for the password file and feed that to a password
cracker. Or even dd the sector with the encrypted root password to a
file, edit it to hold a known password, and put it back to the disk.

Walter.
--
Walter Belgers         "Si hoc signum legere potes, operis boni in rebus
walter at belgers.com       Latinis alacribus et fructuosis potiri potes!"