[rescue] Shifted Sun GDM-500PS...

Skeezics Boondoggle skeezics at q7.com
Sat Dec 20 18:08:05 CST 2003

On Wed, 19 Nov 2003, Jonathan C. Patschke wrote:

> I'm far more excited about the fact that they've survived[1]:
>
>   A falling cisco 7000
>   A falling IBM F30
>   A rolling rackful of PDP-11
>   A tipped crate holding an SGI Challenge XL
>   Several falling 8U HP UPSes
>
> All without a single injury to my feet.  That and they're super/.../

Ouch!

So that reminds me of one of the best April Fools bits that a fellow
sysadmin friend of mine pulled one year.  In mid-March or so he had been
helping to install an RA81 in a rack, and fans of old DEC iron know how
heavy those suckers are.  The thing just got away from them, and dropped
down and banged up his foot pretty badly and broke a toe, and he had to go
to the hospital and get it set.

On Monday, April 1st, he came into work limping, with a cane, and his foot
wrapped up in bandages.  A bunch of people asked what had happened, so he
sent out a company-wide email thanking everyone for their concern, and
explained that unfortunately the damage to the toe had been worse than
originally anticipated, an infection had set in, and over the weekend he
had to have surgery and lost the toe.  I have never seen HR people move so
fast in my life...

We had a really good laugh about that one.  Plus, there were always
_three_ of us when installing new RA-series disks from that point on. :-)

-- Chris