[rescue] Distributed Folding - the Geeks team

Kevin kevin at mpcf.com
Sat Dec 20 18:07:58 CST 2003

Although, i personally haven't paid enough attention to it to have an
opinion, as i recall, a number of geeks people ditched it when it
became apparent that the distfold people were trying to capitalize
on this via copyrights/patents.

/KRM

On Tue, 18 Nov 2003 14:32:05 -0500
"Sheldon T. Hall" <shel at cmhcsys.com> wrote:

> When I asked "what can I do with this Challenge L," Mike Meredith
> suggested http:www.distributedfolding.org.  I'm doing that.  I've
> joined the Geeks team, I'm running it on a couple of machines, etc.
>
> Although 40 people are signed up for the team, only a few seem to
> be doing anything.  If anyone has some spare MIPs (even if they
> aren't MIPs MIPs), there's more room.
>
> They have clients for Wintel, Linux, various Mac/OS Xen, Solaris,
> IRIX, etc. The client, while not, perhaps, having the most elegant
> interface known to man, seems innocuous.  You can start it and stop
> it without losing anything. It will run completely in the
> background.
>
> I don't think we'll ever catch the big teams, but I rather enjoy
> the idea that I'm actually contributing something to medical
> research while heating my house....
>
> -Shel
> --
> Sheldon T. Hall
> shel at cmhc.com
> 206-780-7971 (CMHC)
> 206-842-2858 (Home)

"Microsoft is fighting these initiatives (OSS in government) like a
cornered badger on amphetamines."

keyserver: http://pgp.mit.edu/