[rescue] Exabyte 8500S - oui ou non?

William Enestvedt William.Enestvedt at jwu.edu
Sat Dec 20 18:07:54 CST 2003

Bill Bradford wrote:

> me: "Go out, RIGHT NOW, get BRAND NEW TAPES, and do a FULL
> BACKUP RIGHT NOW."
> them: "Why?"
> me: "Because these tapes are useless."

   A job ago, I discovered a Mac IIci plugged into a 4mm tape drive. "Oh,
that? It backs up the Accountants' stuff." Not on the same tape every night,
it doesn't. And when we -- by which I mean "my boss and I," thank god --
ejected the tape, one of the capstan heads shot right out of the drive along
with it!
   *sigh*
   They didn't trust that "new" DLT drive on the four-year old Sun server.
Nor, for that matter, did they trust the Suns -- but they loved their IIci's!
And as much as I was impressed by the granite stability of that little
computer and the Retrospect script that ran it, I just couldn't let it
continue: they got some password-pretected server space -- much faster than a
IIci's shared drive, surprise surprise -- and a little more reliability.
   At the next upgrade, I bought them each gumdrop-lookin' iMacs to retain the
positive vibe in their office: you just can't put too high a price on the good
karma of happy accountants. :7)
-wde
--
Will Enestvedt