[rescue] decserver's

Dan Duncan dand at pcisys.net
Sat Dec 20 18:07:53 CST 2003

As I recall, 'Dan Williams' wrote:
> Does anyone know if any of the decservers can be made to work backwards
> ie. as a console server.I have a few vaxen running and it would be handy
> to be able to connect to the console via the network.
> If not does anyone know of any cheapish alternatives. I don't have any
> other machines with spare serial ports to use.

I'm running two decserver 90TL's on a dechub90 backplane acting as
console servers for several sparcs, routers, and an alphaserver.
I stupidly gave away my decserver 90M because it was a simpler setup
for a friend's needs. (self booting and a 10bT jack)  I probably still
have the setup script I used to configure everything.  You can attach
to the consoles by telnet to the appropriate port (4002 for port 2, etc)
and I'm using conserver (www.conserver.com) which maintains a connection
to each port, logs everything, and lets me attach in read-only or
read-write mode.  You can also run the conserver client on a different
machine than the conserver server if you're so inclined.

-DanD

# "I would rather be exposed to the inconveniences attending too much liberty,
# than those attending too small a degree of it."  Thomas Jefferson