[rescue] IBM RS/6000 53H Rescue

Patrick Finnegan pat at purdueriots.com
Sat Dec 20 18:07:17 CST 2003

Zach Lowry declared on Monday 10 November 2003 08:30 pm:
> Well, they seem to be some sort of sense fans that attach to the PS.
> I'm sure that they include a sense line that is preventing the machine
> from powering on.  They're fairly large as well, bigger than most PC
> fans.
>
> Zach

It sounds like you're missing the fans in the hard disk "trays."  You
should be able to bypass that by connecting one of the lines in the
connector to ground... I don't remember which and can't look right now,
but I think it was black to yellow.  Of course, that could short out the
power as well, so I'm not sure I can recommend trying it. ; )

Pat

> On Nov 10, 2003, at 2:34 PM, vance at neurotica.com wrote:
> > RS/6000 fans are pretty standard.  What kind of fans are you missing?
> >
> > Peace...  Sridhar
> >
> > On Mon, 10 Nov 2003, Zach Lowry wrote:
> >> Hello Everyone!
> >>
> >> I recovered an IBM 53H which is missing its fans, and as a result,
> >> won't power on. Does anyone happen to have a donor 53H with fans
> >> that they could spare? I may not need them but it wouldn't hurt.
> >>

> >> Zach

Purdue University ITAP/RCS
Information Technology at Purdue
Research Computing and Storage