update: was [[rescue] Did I kill the octane?]

Dave McGuire mcguire at neurotica.com
Mon Dec 29 12:42:45 CST 2003

On Dec 28, 2003, at 8:30 PM, Scott Newell wrote:
>>   For FP, try float.c...it's ancient and well understood.  You can
>> find
>> a copy on my ftp server...I forget where at the moment, probably
>> /pub/misc but I can't check due to lack of connectivity (I'm typing
>> this offline).
>
> flops.c?

   Crap, yes, I'm sorry.

>>   I'm very much interested in learning your results.
>
> http://www.digital-pickle.dyndns.org/sgi/bench.html

   Hmm, near-identical FP performance.  I seem to recall someone
mentioning that the big difference between the R10K and the R12K was a
set of bug fixes to the caching systems which dramatically increase hit
rates.  Does anyone else remember that?

   We should find some R-series family information to see what the
differences really are.

      -Dave