[rescue] Sad Solaris geek

Nadine Miller vraptor at promessage.com
Sat Dec 20 18:09:02 CST 2003

Joshua Boyd wrote:

> On Tue, Dec 16, 2003 at 05:26:29PM -0800, Nadine Miller wrote:
>
>>I am working for (two layers of contracting) are Linux
>>fanboys.
>

> Since when does linux not run on SPARC systems?

Hence the term "fanboys".

The CEO of the consulting firm takes the position that the
restrictive review process to get new source into *BSD is
bad, because "problems don't get fixed quickly".

I held back the strong reply I wanted to make, since this was
in my initial interview.  (Like, "Uh, isn't it better not to
*have* problems to fix?")

In a phone conference with the client I attended on Thurs
before I started, he went on at length about how Oracle
had ditched SAN over the last year and has gone completely
to NAS.  Then he turned around and stated that he would not
deploy a production database on NAS. *blink*blink*

So, he may be good at Linux performance tuning, but he
seems to be suffering from not getting exposed to
certain things--like most sys admins.  Intuit runs the
entire tax returns database (e.g. all the electronic
submissions that come through them) on NAS-based (NetApp,
in fact) Oracle databases.

Anyway...I should work now.

=Nadine=

=Nadine=