[rescue] DEC AlphaServer 4100 5/300 Questions

Eric Dittman dittman at dittman.net
Sat Dec 20 18:08:56 CST 2003

> Does this use a special keyboard?  With a standard ps/2 keyboard, the "y" and
> "z" keys are swapped when at the SRM console.  Also, other keys do not display
> properly.

This sounds like the language is set to something other than U.S.

> I would like to run a version of DEC/Compaq Unix.  Will this box run Tru64 UNIX
> Version 5.1B-1 or 5.1, both of which appear to be available as "Non-Commercial
> Tru64 UNIX Technology Enthusiast package" from HP?
>
> http://h30097.www3.hp.com/noncommercial-unix/buy.htm
>
> There is a note that the DEC 4000 support was removed from the 5.1B-1 version.
> Are earlier versions of DEC/Compaq UNIX available that will run on this box?

The DEC 4000 is not the same as the Alphaserver 4000/4100.  I've got a disk
with Tru64 V5.1B that my Alphaserver 4100 systems boot just fine.

> Also, the second of the two power supplies has a fault according to SRM.
> Research indicates that the second PS is a spare when running 2 CPUs.  I suppose
> that I can remove the PS to clear the fault, but does anyone have a spare
> H7291-AA power supply available?

You can remove the second PS.  You might also check that all the cables are seated
properly, and that the cable that is used to connect the power supplies together
is there.
--
Eric Dittman
dittman at dittman.net