[rescue] DEC AlphaServer 4100 5/300 Questions

Dave McGuire mcguire at neurotica.com
Sat Dec 20 18:08:56 CST 2003

On Dec 13, 2003, at 3:42 PM, Patrick Finnegan wrote:
>> I would like to run a version of DEC/Compaq Unix.  Will this box run
>> Tru64 UNIX Version 5.1B-1 or 5.1, both of which appear to be
>> available as "Non-Commercial Tru64 UNIX Technology Enthusiast
>> package" from HP?
>>
>> http://h30097.www3.hp.com/noncommercial-unix/buy.htm
>
> I don't see why they wouldn't, but I'm no expert.  Anyone else know?

   I don't know for sure, but I'd be honestly shocked if the current
releases didn't run on this machine.  An AlphaServer 4100 is *not* a
DEC 4000...the AS4100 isn't really all that old.  Even with Carly "Make
Money at Any Cost" Fiorina at the helm, it'd be absurd of them to drop
support for a machine that can be configured as a quad-processor 600MHz
EV56 with gigabytes of RAM.

         -Dave