[rescue] DEC AlphaServer 4100 5/300 Questions

Martin Marshall martinm at allwest.net
Sat Dec 20 18:08:56 CST 2003

Hello all:

I just rescued an AlphaServer 4100 5/300 with 2 = CPUs and 512 MB RAM.  The
drive in the StorageWorks shelf has been pulled.  Now I have a few questions:

Does this use a special keyboard?  With a standard ps/2 keyboard, the "y" and
"z" keys are swapped when at the SRM console.  Also, other keys do not display
properly.

I would like to run a version of DEC/Compaq Unix.  Will this box run Tru64 UNIX
Version 5.1B-1 or 5.1, both of which appear to be available as "Non-Commercial
Tru64 UNIX Technology Enthusiast package" from HP?

http://h30097.www3.hp.com/noncommercial-unix/buy.htm

There is a note that the DEC 4000 support was removed from the 5.1B-1 version.
Are earlier versions of DEC/Compaq UNIX available that will run on this box?

Also, the second of the two power supplies has a fault according to SRM.
Research indicates that the second PS is a spare when running 2 CPUs.  I suppose
that I can remove the PS to clear the fault, but does anyone have a spare
H7291-AA power supply available?

I'm sure that I will have more questions as I work with this box, but the above
will get me started.

Thank you,
Martin Marshall