[rescue] IDing a SGI part number

jdboyd at jdboyd.zill.net jdboyd at jdboyd.zill.net
Sat Dec 20 18:08:42 CST 2003

On Fri, Dec 05, 2003 at 05:34:04PM -0500, Dave McGuire wrote:
> On Dec 5, 2003, at 5:35 PM, Jonathan C. Patschke wrote:
> >>Confused. Hope the box is not some SGI 320 or 540 or so?
> >
> >For $12k in 1999, it's probably a 540.  If you don't want it, let me
> >have at it.  Those are neat little systems.
>
>   Oh yeah?  What's neat about them?

They have no BIOS, and use the O2's UMA graphics system.  Don't they
also use interleaved memory?  Anyone?

However, if you want to run anything other than Windows NT4 or Windows
2000 on them, you loose any fancy graphics features (reports are
conflicting as to if XFree will run at all.  I suspect it may, but
perhaps slowly and bugily in 2D only using code that hasn't made into
the core Xfree distro).

Frankly, I wouldn't mind one, but it would end up as a headless linux
machine.  I'd probably max the ram and CPUs, and stuff in a corner in my
office at work to use for builds and source code navigation.