[rescue] Octane R10K/175 CPU module available

jdboyd at jdboyd.zill.net jdboyd at jdboyd.zill.net
Sat Dec 20 18:08:38 CST 2003

On Fri, Dec 05, 2003 at 02:06:04PM +0000, Rob Fielding wrote:

> I'm sure if you bought an Octane, it would probably already have
> something better than 175MHz in it .... Still $15 dollars shipped, you
> could err on the side of caution.  Your cpu module just might just break
> - then again I've seen how the 250 and dual 250 are built, and would
> probably survive being shot. Perhaps, if you're an american, you'd like
> to shoot it with something and take pictures. Probably more interesting
> than using it to compute something anyway.

There may potentially be a way to upgrade 175mhz modules to R12k 300mhz
modules.  People are doing it for boards as slow as 225mhz.  Initial
reports from 175mhz and 195mhz modules is that no one has successfully
upgraded one yet.  It sounds like SGI switch cache suppliers going from
195mhz to 225mhz.  Don't recall all the details (and didn't know all of
them in the first place).