[rescue] Decserver 200/MC as console switch?

Dan Duncan dand at pcisys.net
Sat Dec 20 18:08:32 CST 2003

As I recall, 'Brian Wheeler' wrote:
> What I'd like to do is set it up so I can hang my various unix boxes off
> of it and use the console port on the terminal server to switch between
> them. [think:  serial kvm]

No problem.  I do this with several DECServer 90-series units
and have also done it with DECServer 700's.  The configuration
syntax is the same for both, and I assume it's also the same for a 200.
If you like you can export each console as a telnet service on whatever
TCP/IP port you like and use something like conserver (www.conserver.com)
to maintain the connections, log all output, and let you connect in
read-only or read-write mode.

> I know I'm going to need a pile of null-modems, but I have no idea how
> to configure the server to do what I want.   The documentation I've come
> across seems to indicate that this is possible.

I ended up buying a number of cheap DB9- and DB25- to RJ45 dongles and
wiring them up so a straight-through RJ45 cable works, since I
have the recipe to make them at need.

> Anyone have any documentation on how I'd set this up?  I don't need LAT,
> so that's not really an issue.

-->8---->8-----

  set priv      (enter system as password)
  change server privilege password      (set password to root password)
  change server name mytermserver
  change internet mask 255.255.255.224
  change internet address 10.37.58.176
  change internet gateway 10.37.58.190
  change internet name resolution domain foo.com
  change internet nameserver cspdns1 address 10.37.17.11
  change internet nameserver cspdns2 address 10.37.17.12
  change telnet listener 23 connections enabled

  change port 2,3,4,5,6,7,8,9,10,11,12,13,14,15,16 stop bits 1
  change port 2,3,4,5,6,7,8,9,10,11,12,13,14,15,16 access remote
  change port 2,3,4,5,6,7,8,9,10,11,12,13,14,15,16 break remote
  change port 2,3,4,5,6,7,8,9,10,11,12,13,14,15,16 autobaud disabled
  change port 2,3,4,5,6,7,8,9,10,11,12,13,14,15,16 autoprompt disabled
  change port 2,3,4,5,6,7,8,9,10,11,12,13,14,15,16 broadcast disabled
  change telnet listener 2002 port 2
  change telnet listener 2002 connection enabled
  change telnet listener 2002 identification "mayhem"
  change telnet listener 2003 port 3
  change telnet listener 2003 connection enabled
  change telnet listener 2003 identification "chaos"

I can access the console for mayhem with "telnet mytermserver 2002"

-DanD

# A witty saying proves nothing.  -Voltaire