[rescue] Solaris 9 MU4

Ido Dubrawsky idubraws at dubrawsky.org
Sat Dec 20 18:08:32 CST 2003

So,

It seems to me that Solaris 9 MU4 was meant only for those with lots of disk
space.  I've got some systems that don't have alot of disk space and I want
to apply MU4...It appears to me that I have three choices:

	a. Unzip MU4 on a system with lots of disk space and then NFS export
	   the filesystem to the machines that I'm going to apply the update
	   to, or
	b. Create an ISO image of the entire thing (~1GB) and burn a DVD of it
	   (problem with that is the systems I want to apply the update to
	   don't have DVD drives and I don't have a DVD burner (yet), or if
	   they do have DVD drives I don't want to mount the DVD and then
	   export it out...otherwise I might as well just do case a above), or
	c. Split the update in two, create two sub-650MB ISO images and then
	   burn CDs of the two updates

I went with choice c...took a little effort but I figured out how to do it so
that I don't generate error messages...and patch order was important apparently.
Suffice it to say Sun should provide directions (or options) on how to do
this.  Now I've got MU4 split into two ISO images: S9MU4-1 and S9MU4-2.  They
fit nicely on two CDs and I can apply them to any system I want.  Somewhat of
a pain...but I had to get it done...oh well.

Ido
Ido Dubrawsky, CISSP           			E-mail:  ido at dubrawsky.org
Network Security Architect
dubrawsky.org