[rescue] analog routers...

Lionel Peterson lionel4287 at yahoo.com
Sun Aug 24 09:05:04 CDT 2003

--- Shannon <shannon at widomaker.com> wrote:
> On Fri, Aug 22, 2003 at 09:49:02PM -0700, Robert Novak wrote:

> The only thing silly about it, is the fact that PCs have this
> limitation in the first place.
>
> You still had to use graphics for the install, and you have to use it
> any time you either cannot have serial console support, or the
> console support fails for some reason.

Aside from needing graphics for an install, the PC and Sun box have the
same limitations...

> > Almost as silly as suggesting a PC-based router
> > when you want something appliancelike for the purpose.
>
> I don't really want anything appliance-like, I just want something
> small that works good, and I don't want a PC.

Let's see - what do you want? You don't want a purpose-built box
(appliance-like) nor do you want a PC - what's left, aside from better
serial ports for your Sun box?

> Ideally Sun would have made decent serial ports, and I'd not need a
> thing.

Ah... It's a shame Sun HSI cards can't be made into, uhm, high-speed
serial interfaces for just these types of applications.

It would also be very nice if Sun supported some form of PCI modem
(obviously not a Wimmodem).

=====
Lionel

"I am not into examining other peoples' dumps..." - Sheldon T. Hall