Noise and Hearing (was Re: [rescue] Re: Throw another packet on the server...)

N.Miller vraptor at promessage.com
Fri Aug 22 14:05:05 CDT 2003

On Friday, August 22, 2003, at 05:27 AM, David L Kindred (Dave) wrote:

>     Bill> Yeah - you should hear some of the old U2s around here (work)
>     Bill> though - a lot of the "noise" people complain about is old
> HDs
>     Bill> whose bearings are going.. and we all know that *WHEEEEEE*
>     Bill> sound a gradually-dying drive makes.
>
> We have some old LX's with the 420 Meg drives that have been screaming
> for several YEARS without ever actually failing.  The thing that scares
> me is that in one of the server rooms YOU CAN'T HEAR THEM!  Can't be
> good for long term expectations of hearing.
>
> I know of the risks to hearing from some of my hobbies, but what about
> from long term exposure to computer room noise?

If it's over 85 decibels, you will do damage to your hearing
dependent on your exposure length.  Here's a good page with a
summary:

<http://www.earinc.com/howhearingworks.php>

(I am a certified ear mold technician--one of my many skills.  I
can make custom silicon ear plugs.)

If you want to know the decibel level in your DC, you can get a
sound pressure measuring device at places like Radio Shack.  For
OSHA requirements, you'd have to get someone certified to do the
measurements.

Hearing damage is the number one workman's compensation claim.

Foam earplugs are less comfortable, but just as good as silicon
ear plugs.  Just make sure that you insert them far enough into
your ear canal--it should almost feel like the ear plug is in
"too far".  Most people do not insert foam ear plugs far enough.

=Nadine=