FDDI, was: Re: [rescue] u2 drive trays

Gavin Hubbard ghub005 at xtra.co.nz
Wed Aug 20 20:17:23 CDT 2003

>> What about 100Base-FX?
>
>   Does anyone actually *use* that?
>
>      -Dave
>
>--
>Dave McGuire                 "You don't have Vaseline in Canada?"
>St. Petersburg, FL                     -Bill Bradford

In my father's company (a food manufacturing business) they have five FastE
LANs spread across four different buildings on a single site. They use
100BaseFX to connect the four buildings together over a 62.5/125 multi-mode
fibre backbone. The links are formed using cheap D-link fibre transceivers
at each of the cables that simply convert FastE from copper to fibre.

They are using fibre because several of the runs are over 100 metres in
length, they don't have to worry about noise problems from the large
industrial machinery in the factories, and it eliminates potential
signalling problems from using a different electrical ground in each
building. They decided to use 100BaseFX because the transceivers are much
cheaper, they could continue to use the existing LAN switches, and because
the fibre will support GigE if they ever need to upgrade further down the
line.

Regards,

Gavin