[rescue] OT: Linux and USB on Intel

Robert Novak rnovak at indyramp.com
Wed Apr 23 15:19:31 CDT 2003

On Wed, Apr 23, 2003 at 04:08:57PM -0400, Dave McGuire wrote:

> >And as far as PCs as servers... something doesn't have to be the
> >best thing on the market ever to be useful and usable. I expect
> >the dual P3-500 on my coffee table would run rings around the Netra
> >T1 in the computer room.
>
>   Interesting.  I think you're running different Netra T1s than I am.
> ;)  I replaced TWO P3-733s (running FreeBSD) with ONE Netra T1
> (Solaris8) about a year ago.  Get that checked, man.

Could be. I have a T1 105, 360mhz. Solaris 9. The memory for the
dual P3 is a lot cheaper, for one... $100/GB for registered ECC.
Never mind that I got it with CPUs and 1GB for $150 3 years ago
or so. And I like the dual SCSI onboard for the N440BX.

Were your P3s bound at all, or was it just a convenient transition?
I know beyond a doubt that neither my PC servers nor my Sun servers
are anywhere near any of their performance limits. With the right
chassis (10-drive case on the porch) and the right diskspace (a pile
of 18gb SCA disks, maybe a pair of 36s) I could match the current
production functionality of the Netra T1 105, the dual Ppro 210/512,
and the temporarily sleeping dual P3-500 combined... with the Celeron
300 sitting on the sofa. And it would be overkill. Doesn't mean I'm
going to, but if I had to, I could.

--Rob