[rescue] OT: Games and workstations (was OT: Linux and USB on Intel)

Andrew Weiss ajwdsp at cloud9.net
Tue Apr 22 12:27:46 CDT 2003

On Tuesday, April 22, 2003, at 01:09 PM, Jeffrey Nonken wrote:

> I use 1024x768 instead of a lower res because, not only do I find it
> easier
> to see things, but I found once I got past a certain point that the
> system
> was actually GAINING performance over lower resolutions. *boggle* Not
> very
> much, and yes I know it could have been a fluke, but my tests got
> consistent results.

I actually found my machine (back when it was a Riva TNT 1) actually
gained performance when I installed the high-definition graphics update
to Half-Life... and they warned that it would be too much for older
machines to handle.  I guess they did enough OpenGL optimizations that
they outweighed the increase in performance spec required.

Andrew