[rescue] SGI Systems available

Gerhard Lenerz mail at g-lenerz.de
Wed Apr 9 14:34:33 CDT 2003

Hello Kurt and all other rescuers,

> I've lost the URL, but someone actually did testing and the XS equipped R5k
> stomped an XZ R5k in all manner of 3D and 2D applications.  You'd think it
> wouldn't but it does.  However, an XZ in a R4400 or R4600 Indy would be
> rather nice.

  I think you are refering to Ian Maplesons website and in particular
  his page about the Indy
  (<http://futuretech.mirror.vuurwerk.net/indyinfo.html>). I think he
  never says that XL in Indy R5K is *always* superior to XZ in Indy
  R5K although I know that many people in newsgroups tell it like that
  would be the case. I think which option is better depends very much
  on the application you are running. It might be possible that XL is
  better for overall performance (i.e. much improved 2D performance),
  but re-reading Ians page I have not many doubts that simple/moderate
  3D tasks plus some floating point orientated stuff (like maybe some
  light texture rendering or scientific work) work better on R5K + XZ
  (Ian has some additional details on the number of light sources and
  or z-buffering required). Thus 3D stuff is done on the GFX board,
  while the CPU is free for the rest of the calculations. After all, I
  guess that was the whole point about the GE's.

--
Best regards,
 Gerhard                            mailto:mail at g-lenerz.de

Old SGI Stuff                       http://sgistuff.g-lenerz.de/