[rescue] Re: Anyone here familiar with 10Base36 ?!?

roosmcd at dds.nl roosmcd at dds.nl
Sun Sep 22 05:47:28 CDT 2002

 Hello,

> a friend of mine is in an area where he can't use wireless, but wants
> to connect his house to a house about 1500 feet away.  The are he is
> in is tropical, so he wants to have something sturdy.

 What bandwidth does he need?

> I suggested 10Base5 with 2 repeaters to cover the distance, but came
> across a sketchy description of "10Base36" which gives up to 3600 feet
> without repeaters.

 That would be 10broad36. I had some equipment for this (now dismantled :).
It's really neat stuff; instead of baseband it uses broadband so you can have
several ethernet/telephone connections over the same cable. A search on
10broad36 should turn something up.

 You should be able to find this stuff very cheap at HAM markets; last time I
went they were also selling Siemens Walkabout (Or walkair?) 26GHz modules for
$75 apiece (including antenna). That's a point to point connection of up to
10Km for $150. Try to beat that with fiber..

  greetings,
   Michiel