[rescue] Re: Sun 3/60 SunOS 4.1.1 netboot question

Matthew Fredette fredette at alum.mit.edu
Wed Oct 30 18:52:55 CST 2002

> I'm thinking about installing SunOS 4.1.1 on my Sun 3/60.  Its currently
> got NetBSD on it (it works, but where's the *love*?) and I've been
> trying to netboot it into SunOS to no avail.  I've downloaded all the
> files from the Sun3 Archive (www.sun3arc.org) but there doesn't seem to
> be a net boot program.

In the sun3arc SunOS 4.1 sun3_kvm.tar.Z, you want stand/boot.sun3 and
stand/vmunix.  boot.sun3 is the netboot program.  I test-booted these
on my 3/60 today using a NetBSD server, but with my network root empty
except for the kernel it didn't get much farther.

sun3arc also has SunOS 3.5, however it looks like 3.5 can only do a
Network Disk (ND) type netboot, which is hard to set up nowadays -
SunOS itself was the only OS capable of acting as a real ND server.
(However, you can at least load the 3.5 kernel, found as ./vmunix in
sun3_pub.tar.gz, over the network using the 4.1 boot.sun3.  It dies
trying to mount the Network Disk root.)

> Sadly, its a 1.9 rom, so it won't boot from a CD or I'd tinker with that
> method.  I'd rather not mess up my current NetBSD installation (yet) so
> netbooting seems like the way to go.

With a Sun OEM drive that serves 512 sectors by default (mine is a
<SONY, CD-ROM CDU-8012, 3.1d>), I can boot my rev 1.9 3/60.  See
http://www.pimpworks.org/sun/cdrom.html for the Sun CD-ROM FAQ, which
lists which drives can serve 512 sectors by default to boot Suns, and
http://www.netbsd.org/Ports/sun3/faq.html for information on which
monitor boot device to use given your machine and ROM rev.

--
Matt Fredette