[rescue] SunStation IPX

Sheldon T. Hall shel at cmhcsys.com
Wed Oct 30 09:55:41 CST 2002

"Benjamin Gardiner" <cvisors at carnagevisors.net> said ...

> Well I have just got my hands on a Sun IPX, and I was wondering what
> versions of solaris run on this machine, I know 2.8 & 2.9 (8 & 9) most
> probably won't, but what versions do?

[2.]7 certanly works fine on an IPX.  I ran a 64-meg IPX with a 1-gig hard
drive for about a year; it was serving mail, time, DHCP, and various other
chores for our little LAN.

If you want to run a GUI, don't do it on the console; it's pretty slow.
Running it from an X-terminal isn't so bad.  Using a serial terminal or
emulator is quite reasonable.  Use a Macintosh modem cable and a null modem
to hook up a terminal.

-Shel