[rescue] EMC helpful ?!?!??! hah!

Mike Johnson mike at enoch.org
Mon Oct 28 15:29:56 CST 2002

Dave McGuire [mcguire at neurotica.com] wrote:

>   It's the standard suit attitude...they don't care about existing
> customers, they only want NEW ones...so that's where all their effort
> is focused.

No lie.  At $previous_employer we were wined and dined by EMC[1] and we
ended up leasing a couple Clariions.  They swore up and down that Linux
support was not a problem.  Well, it was.  There was support, as long as
we used the -exact- distro and kernel they wanted us to.  It sucked, and
never worked.  Of course, we couldn't use the kernel they wanted us to
due to other issues.

I feel we won in the end.  The company went kaput, but before then, we
started pulling things out of the co-lo.  We grabbed everything, save
the EMC stuff.  We tried to call EMC to arrange a pickup and they didn't
return our calls.  So, we left 'em in the cage at the co-lo provider we
stopped paying and let those two fight it out.

Mike, shoulda gotta Net-App

[1] They flew me and the COO to Boston, picked us up at the airport in a
stretch limo, put us up in a nice hotel, picked up the tab at the bar,
breakfast, lunch, etc.
--
"Would you like to take advantage of wiretap Wednesdays?" -- Fed on Sealab
2021