[rescue] New Sparc5 170 Rescue Questions

William Enestvedt Will.Enestvedt at jwu.edu
Mon Oct 28 10:27:50 CST 2002

James Fogg wrote:

> Yay, another SS5 may live. With enough ram this box will run
> Solaris 8 (or 9 I would imagine) nicely. In fact, it feels a
> lot like my 170mhz Ultra-1.

   Excuse the stoopid question, but does the CPU make this feel like a peppier
system, or is "enough RAM" the big deal?
   I have an SS10 and an SS20 on which I installed Solaris 2.6 because I
didn't think that 8 would provide a (*cough*) "satisfactory user experience."
If each has about 100 MB of real RAM, would 8 run all right on the SS10 for
use as a secondary workstation?
-wde
--
Will Enestvedt