[rescue] IBM RS/6000 3CT

vance at neurotica.com vance at neurotica.com
Sat Oct 26 19:13:55 CDT 2002

On Sat, 26 Oct 2002, Eric Webb wrote:

> > I use the precompiled RPM's from ftp.software.ibm.com.  Completely
> > painless for open/freeware stuff.  I swear by the gnu version of df,
> > because I tend to do df -m a lot.
>
> Yuck... that's something else that I wanted to bring up.  I believe the RPMs
> maintain a separate database from the lpp system, and that kinda ticks me
> off.  I don't want to have to F around with two software databases, even
> though they're for totally different kinds of things.

They do maintain a separate database.  But they don't share prerequisites,
so you can always remove an RPM or LPP without worrying about prereqs in
the other set.

> I've got mixed feelings about the mixing of AIX and GNU/Linux stuff.  I love
> Linux at home, but I'm really, really afraid of it tainting the goodness of
> AIX.

I would also rather they had stayed with LPP, but I'd rather use RPM's
than go through the hassle of dealing with all the AIX-specific problems
during GNU compiles.

Peace...  Sridhar