[rescue] O2 Midi?

Joshua D Boyd jdboyd at cs.millersville.edu
Fri Oct 25 20:45:23 CDT 2002

On Fri, Oct 25, 2002 at 06:37:11PM -0700, Gregory Leblanc wrote:
> On Fri, Oct 25, 2002 at 08:35:04PM -0400, Joshua D Boyd wrote:
> > On Fri, Oct 25, 2002 at 05:13:14PM -0700, Gregory Leblanc wrote:
> > > Does the O2 have any midi hardware?  When I try to play audio via
> > > soundplayer, it tells me that there's no midi device configured.  When
> > > I head to the hardware configuration, there's no option for any midi
> > > stuff.  I do have the "coveted AV" module in this one, but hinv
> > > doesn't give me any useful clues.  Thanks,
> >
> > You aren't playing a midi file and it is saying this?
>
> No, I was trying to play a midi file.
>
> > It sounds to me like this is mostly the software midi system being
> > misconfigured (and I couldn't say how to fix it), but if you are
> > interested in midi hardware, read on.
>
> There's lots of that, especially xmms.  :-)
>
> [snip good sgi midi info]
>
> Huh, here I was thinking that my SGI could be my nice Audio box, but
> it doesn't even do midi.  I guess I'll have to make my SB Live play
> midi under leenucks.  Thanks,

Well, for playing midi, as I said, there should be a software toolkit
involved.  Make sure you have dmedia_eoe.sw.synth and
dmedia_data.data.synth installed then midisynth should properly play any
incoming Midi events, like those coming from soundplayer.
see http://www.sgi.com/tech/faq/audio/bundled.html#midisynth

The complicated stuff you snipped is only for hooking up to
like keyboards and such, in which case the needed adapter cables and Mac
midi boxes should be a reasonable price.

--
Joshua D. Boyd