[rescue] IBM RS/6000 3CT

Kevin Loch kloch at gurunet.net
Fri Oct 25 14:47:22 CDT 2002

Dave McGuire wrote:

> On Friday, October 25, 2002, at 03:26 PM, Mike Johnson wrote:
> > I recently came into possession of one of these beasties and can't seem
> > to find much in the way of information (maybe I'm just looking in the
> > wrong places).  I've found that it's a 67MHz POWER2, and I've found the
> > diag codes.  It also seems to be maxed out in memory (but I don't know
> > what the maximum is).  It has a sound card, an ATM card, and a video
> > card (which is a GXT150M, it would seem).  It also has a 2GB drive.
> > When booting, it goes through a bunch of diagnostics on the little
> > read-out, and (I guess) makes it into the OS, and the display clears.
> >
> > My problem is I don't have a monitor for it (it doesn't seem to like
> > Sun
> > monitors) and I can't figure out how to get serial console.  Any
> > pointers?
>
>    I've used SGI monitors on RS6000s before...not perfect, but they
> work.  I did that on my 3CT, in particular. ;)  The 3CT is quite a
> decent machine.
>
>    See http://www.neurotica.com/docs/rs6000/7030-3CT.html for lots of
> 3CT info.

All RS/6000's I have seen work fine with generic svga pc monitors.
(it uses sync on green).  You may need a physical adaptor to make the
connection (if it's a 13W3).

Serial console should work, but you may need to hit an 'F' key to
select it.

The readout tells you which step in POST/os boot it is currently in.
That way if it stops or fails you can look up where it failed.
Upon completion of boot (or some point in os boot) the display
clears.

KL